Monday, January 10, 2011

The Teacher Learns


This fall has been an exchange of cultures as this community has invited me to take part in not only teaching kanteles to 10 - 15 students ranging from 5 years old to senior citizens, but also to be a part of Autumn festivals and holiday dinners.


As often happens, teachers learn and gain as much or more than their students from their teaching experiences. I can say this has been the case for me as well. I have learned inter-generational teaching is very rewarding in how we are all curious and attentive to the wonders of making music. The students in this class have been so much fun, so willing to try whatever I bring in to them and always anxious to learn more about each instrument I introduce. They are an impressive group of musicians and they are all eager to devour our Finnish licorice at the end of each class!

--Diane Jarvi

No comments:

Post a Comment